What I love about appeltaart is the way it is half cake/half pie. You make a cake batter, but then you press it around the side and base of the tin, pile in a huge amount of apple to the centre, and then cover it up with more cake batter. So it is in essence a cake, but structurally, a pie. Genius.
This makes one huge mama of a cake, so I strongly advise inviting lots of friends over, and getting lots of cream to go with it.
- 8-9 apples - about 850g chopped
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- zest of 1 lemon and the juice of half the lemon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 300g butter plus an extra 1/2 tablespoon
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups self-raising flour (500g)
- Plenty of cream to serve